Saturday 26 November 2011

Further sorties from the broom cupboard

Battle proceeded on several fronts this week:
  • Attempted to make my luxury office suite less of a health & safety hazard by reorganizing piles of books while finding space for a 'happy few' of them actually on shelves in the library - a worthy battle plan l feel.
  • Faced the firing squad aka the Library Committee for the first time. They were in fact delightful and I found that unlike in my previous attempt at management several decades ago, I was firing volleys in the form of terminology as if I actually knew what I was doing. Words like 'long-term objectives', 'goals' and 'strategic plan' tripped off my tongue as comfortably as the terms 'bare', 'I'm not even lying' and 'he's so fit' do from my teen offspring.
  • Long-term theatre of battle known as cataloguing progressing slowly with normal catering-related skirmishes attacking the left flank. Library yet again used as restaurant yesterday meant that I emerged from the bunker with a pile of books ready to be shelved, only to be shot down by hungry diners strategically placed in front of said shelves. Regrouped my forces and attacked under cover of darkness a few hours later...that'll teach the buggers to eat, damn them!
Progress will be slow for the next month as much friendly fire expected from income-generating Events...'Up and at 'em' as Sharpe would say. But if I'm Sharpe, who's Napoleon?.....

No comments: