Thursday 12 November 2015

Cancer and Me: in isis-k's biggest adventure yet, she realises she is not immortal

Cheated!
From an early age, isis-k realised that life had a nasty habit of throwing googlies at unsuspecting bystanders.
After several years of being bullied at school, she kind of made it her mission to try and offend as few people and tread on as few toes as possible. 

Which is why
a) Her career, though interesting, never hit stratespheric and
b) She kept several pobbles as pets 



She and the weird sisters had many adventures battling the Evil Empress who ruled over a certain area of White City; while avoiding being sunk by the well-known shipping hazard in the Bermuda Triangle : Barry Manilow's nose.


Now I suspect she faces her biggest battle yet. All the tests the lovely doctors have carried out point to a diagnosis which - to quote the original big brother - is doubleplusungood.

No one wants to be told they have Cancer, but that's apparently not a choice I have. The googly has been bowled.

Strange how you meet so many acts of kindness at a time like this, from a London Cabbie being sympathetic when I threw up all over his nice clean Taxi (ok I still had to pay to have it valeted but...he told me to 'be lucky') to all the wonderful friends and neighbours who've done everything from Reflexology to cooking ready meals.

And of course: My Family.
You are wonderful and every day I am more proud.

Prognosis ? Profoundly pessimistic, but I ain't going down without a fight. 

As the truly great Dylan Thomas put it :
'do not go gentle into that good night
Rage rage against the dying of the light'

Peace (and of course - Love)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Kath,What a way to find out about your situation. I want you to befriend my friend here on FB Maggie MacKay a very good school friend of mine who had cancer and fought and fought and stands today as a true woman warrior (Scottish). I can only say, keep light in your mind as I hear say that positive thinking really does help and can turn things , I light a candle for you and wish I could do something, so ask. But do exchange with Maggie as I know she has been in this place. I send huge love. x Lucinda Sieger

David Posner said...

Farewell little sister.
It's hard to believe that we are never going to see you again, but I can read your stories and be reminded of your unique view of life.
Love you forever - David

Vita said...

I miss you Kath.

Carrie said...

I learnt so much from you Kath, but never so much as I did in your final weeks. You showed such dignity and humor. I never saw you bitter or self pitious. I wondered how you managed? I learnt about grace, and warmth and about the impact we have upon one another, especially in times of crisis. You were truly beautiful, both inside and out.
I miss you dear friend XXX